Thursday, January 26, 2012

#Nightgale Week 4 Response

Week 4 of 4 – January 26th – PROMPT: Writing is Immortality

Keats – “But on the viewless wings of Poesy, Though the dull brain perplexes and retarts: Already with thee! Tender is the night, And haply the Queen-Moon is on her throne;”(Ode To A Nightingale)

For my WIP (work in progress) – Mighty Men
Rather than continue to reveal details of my script, I’ve decided make my final entry in this challenge an ode by David to his mighty men.

Ode to My Mighty Men
the chief seat of our mighty team
occupied by Hachmonite Jashobeam,
whether eight or three, Adino’s spear
dispatched hundreds of foes despising fear

by his side and mine e'er wielding Eleazar
whose sword slashed like a mighty razor
tirelessly smiting till his hand did cleave
enemies felled beyond belief

last attained unto the chief three
Shammah the Hararite son of Agee
for he also braved the barley field
to prove our God would never yield

are not these written on sacred scrolls
and upon the hearts of men?
immortal deeds fond to behold
                whilst overcoming sin.

beyond these chief another three
cast honor o’er the mighty sea
first Abishai, son of Zeruiah
then captain of the guard Benaiah

these three of the thirty chief
went down to spell my soul’s relief
in jeopardy of their very lives
no leader could their deed despise

howbeit, the reckoning doth fail
inconsistent in its very tale
for despite the glorious act and fame
opprobrium attaches to one name

are not these written on sacred scrolls
and upon the hearts of men?
forever affixed to lives retold
                the consequence of sin.

thirty more in Adullam began to dwell:
third son of Zeruiah, Asahel
also birthed in Bethlehem
even Dodo’s son Elthanan.

Shammah and Elika both Harodite
Helez and Ahijah fighting Pelonite
Ira of Tekoa, Abiezer of Anathoth
giant-slaying Sibbecai son of Hushath

Ahohite Zalmon, called Ilai
Netophathites Heled and Maharai
from Benjamin in Gibeah Ithai
Benaiah the Pirathonite and Hurai

are not these written on sacred scrolls
and upon the hearts of men?
iron sharpening iron can make men bold
                while camped outside is sin.

Abiel and Azmaveth, and Eliahba of Shaalbon
Gizonite son of Hashem another mighty Jonathan
Hararites Shammah and Sacar’s son Ahiam
Ur descendant Eliphal and wisdom’s son Eliam

Carmelite Hezro, Arbite Paarai, Igal of Zobah
Bani the Gadite aka Haggeri’s son Mibhar
even from Ammon Zelek and Naharai the Beerothite
and valiant Ira and Garab of the people Ithrite

of all the mighty men thus fallen
one name will ever be calling
indeed my sin was brought to light
for the blood of Uriah the Hittite.

are not these written on sacred scrolls
and upon the hearts of men?
the genesis of our immortal souls
                demands our death to sin. 


384 words
@Computilizer

Special thanks to Stevie McCoy @theglitterlady for establishing the #NightGale Challenge. During this challenge, my sequences and script outline have come sharply into focus. Interjecting immortality as an underlying theme has provided a hinge for more than one instance of backstory. I apologize for not having noticed the “200 words” in the challenge description. I suspect that I may have been confusing @CaraMichaels coaxing in her #WIP500 challenge. But, I can gratefully say that my Mighty Men script has swollen to over 15,000 words. I am completing my final scenes, and look forward to rewriting the whole dang thang.

Again, thank you Stevie. And, thank you to all who have provided such encouraging comments.

                                                         FADE TO BLACK.


4 comments:

  1. This is magnificent! I envy people who can forge words into poetry (I am not one of those people) and this captures something quite glorious. I particularly like these words: "went down to spell my soul’s relief" - something it that makes my spine tingle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's just the computilizer in me. But, if you don't mind I plan to read every word on your site. I love your writing. This challenge has been an excellent culmination for my first month having professed my desire to be a screenwriter. I haven't been this enthused since 10 years ago when I taught at a Christian High School.

      Delete
  2. That is quite the cast of characters you're working with there. Definitely e-mail me when you're ready for a reader and I'll do my best to give usable feedback.

    ReplyDelete